Wednesday, April 22, 2009

the new magazine


I've told you before how much I obsess over magazines. I have stacks and stacks of them. In baskets, on the coffee table, stuffed in bookshelves, on my night stand. Pretty much everywhere. I don't know what it is about them but I can't get enough. And this obsession isn't new. I have been a dedicated glossy pages obsessor since about 4th grade. Now that's commitment.

I started by collecting issues of teen, 17 and glamour. Then of course cosmo when I could get them past my mom. She wasn't keen on the idea of a 4th grader reading tips on how to make your man happy in bed.

Whatever it is, I love them. Although I don't have as much time as I would like to sit down and read one cover to cover and back again, I'll take what I can get. So in honor of Earth Day, the extended version, I decided to continue the celebration and show you a few blogs that have recently come across my screen.

In this day and economy, blogs are easily becoming the new magazine. They are free to read, some are free to start and they use zero paper. The best part you ask? Instead of a monthly fix, I get a daily fix to satisfy my obsession. And that makes an addict happy, really happy.

I get my fashion photo fix at Backyard Bill. Stylish folks in their own clothes.
I get my design fix at Dezeen. Easily one of the most popular and influential architecture and design blogs on the internet.


And now, thanks to my music loving cuz, Jojo, I get my music fix via the tree factory. As of yesterday she started writing for them. How's that for fresh material? Their tagline? Peeling back the bark to find music under the surfaces of radio and television.

photos: via backyard bill and dezeen

1 comment: