Saturday, March 7, 2009

tune in tokyo

I'm not really sure how to write about a film that I've only watched the preview. Let me preface this with, TOKYO! is different from any preview I've watched in some time. Not only is Tokyo Police Club in the sound track but there are three parts each with a different director, non of which from Tokyo. Director Michael Gondry of the famed Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Leos Carax and Bong Joon-Ho examine transformation, anarchy and rebirth all in the heart of Tokyo. The film addresses the timeless question whether we shape cities or do they in fact shape who we are. 

Since I haven't seen the film, here's a little blurb from the producers Masa Sawada and Michiko Yoshitake:
"All cities evolve. But whereas Paris or New York have managed to maintain balance between tradition and evolution, TOKYO! is destined to develop endlessly. Economic growth has seen the city change at an exponential rate. This enormous metropolis is a film set in itself. Neither quiet nor calm, the city overflows with dizzying energy. Seen from abroad, Tokyo has grown from an exotic city to "TOKYO!", an endlessly complex and fantasized-about assemblage emanating from and imminent future..."

3 comments:

  1. Wow, just...WoW! Okay, I want to see this. I've seen PolaX (crazy messed up movie!) and ESoaSM which I loved. Jesse is obsessed with Michael Gondry - he and Matthew watched the DVD set over and over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I LOVE Michel Gondry and the other two directors seem amazing, too.

    (here via Domestic Reflections) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the film is out now. At least in my area, it started showing last week. I can't wait to check it out! Let me know if you catch it!

    ReplyDelete